Sunday 4 November 2007

the story of grandma

I have no memory of grandma. I had seen a picture of grandma in mum's photo album. She looked like any gentle, loving grandma any child would adore. I had heard from my aunts & uncles grandma loved children. I was told grandma died when I was a little girl. No wonder I have no fond memories of grandma.

Recently, while talking with mum about grandma, it seemed to me like grandma had shown symptoms similar to what we know today as nose cancer. Grandma started to suffer from nose bleeding when she was in her 40's. But her illness became worse & she died 5 years later. Mum said grandpa had brought grandma to Singapore for medical treatment. From what mum described, it seemed like grandma went through something like radiotherapy. I thought to myself, it must be nose cancer then. But somehow, in those days people didn't call it "ai" (cancer) but "gum" in Hokkien. I learned from a friend that "gum" is the old Hokkien word for "cancer". I see, so I've learned something new that I've never known before.

This information is important. One, it seems like I've inherited grandma's genes. Two, it means that genetically, nose cancer might run in my family. Three, it has answered the pertinent question in my mind all this while - how in the world did I get nose cancer? Breast cancer, yes but nose cancer? Now I have the answer.

My oncologist was right. I remember asking him this question, "What is the cause of cancer?" And his straightforward answer was, "Genetics, environment, lifestyle, in this order."

Lord, I pray that in Your mighty power, You will stop this cancer from perpetuating itself in my family, both now & in the future. Amen.

tsk tsk

No comments: