Sunday 29 October 2006

BSF Leaders’ Sharing – 28 Oct 2006

16 Aug 2006 was the darkest day of my life. It was the day I learned I had nose cancer. I was dazed. I couldn’t believe it. How could it be? Haven’t I already lost one sister thru cancer? Haven’t I made every effort to read every available book on cancer & nutrition, & followed what the books say? Haven’t I been careful about my diet & avoided food that is said to cause cancer? How then could I have cancer? It just didn’t make sense to me. I couldn’t sleep the whole night. I felt so alone & lonely. I was on my knees, crying out my heart to the Lord. I did not question God “Why me?” I prayed, “Lord, what am I going to do? How am I going to walk through this unknown journey? I’m afraid. I’m scared. I do not know what to do but my eyes are on You. I do not understand what is happening to me. But Lord, I know You have a purpose and I will trust You all the way.” That night, the Lord led me to Psalm 73:26 : “My flesh & my heart may fail, but God is the Strength of my heart & my Portion forever.” That verse brought me comfort as I was assured that the battle belonged to God & He would guide me through this journey.

It all started as an innocent ringing tone in my left ear after 2 weeks of swimming lesson. The ringing tone later developed into ear blockage & I lost some hearing in my left ear. Little did I expect the problem to turn out to be so serious, a malignant tumour behind my nose. Thus began the 2-month journey in my battle against cancer. The 33-sessions of radiotherapy (RT) treatment began on 12 Sep, & as at today, I have one last session to go on Mon. As I have nose cancer, the RT is focused on my face & neck, resulting in side effects such as dry mouth, mouth ulcers, thick phlegmy saliva, all of which make eating, drinking & talking difficult. As the ulcers became more painful & unbearable, I could not eat & drink & began to lose weight. I had to be put on the feeding tube to enable me to eat & drink. The pain fromthe ulcers & phlegmy saliva grew more intense with each passing week. Many times I cried to the Lord to take away the pain & suffering but for some unknown reason, the Lord wanted me to go through the pain & suffering of cancer. He said, “My grace is sufficient for you.” The journey was so tough & difficult that there were times I felt like giving up. I was hospitalised twice as the side effects of RT took a heavy toll on me. But through each ordeal, I could sense the presence & testify the goodness of the Lord. He never let me suffer more than what I could bear.

Initially, I had a lot of concerns when I learned that I had to come for RT treatment every weekday for 7 weeks. How am I going to SGH for treatment everyday? Who is going to look after me? But God never deserts His children. I was soon overwhelmed by God’s loving & timely provisions. He sent many angels to minister to my needs. God enabled my 75-year-old mum to come from Msia to look after me full-time. Ai Fong initiated a “Milk Fund” to sponsor my Enercal diet. My co-CL, became my personal manager who coordinated all my needs for prayers, transport, food & supplies. She even initiated a personal blog to provide daily updates on my condition. Many angels came forward to drive me to SGH for treatment, cooked for me, brought me my daily supplies, stayed & looked after me when I was warded in the hospital & even took care of my mum when I was warded. I experienced true Christian love in action. These Godsend angels selflessly sacrificed their time & energy to minister to my needs in various ways. I’m thankful to God for all His provision.

I have a lot more to share but time does not permit me to go on. There are just too many miracles to mention in this short sharing. Although I do not yet know the outcome of my RT treatment, I know that my life is in God’s sovereign hands & I will trust Him all the way. There have been many trials in my life but this has been the most challenging one. But through it all, I have experienced God’s goodness & faithfulness. With God behind me & His arms beneath me, I know God will enable me to face whatever lies ahead of me. I pray that I will be restored totally (RT) by January to be able to come back to BSF, after having been away for the last one month. See you all in January 2007!

No comments: