Saturday 12 January 2008

EBV infection

Ever heard of EBV infection? I heard this term for the first time during the NPC support group meeting yesterday. Oncologist Dr John Low spoke on "Side-Effects of Radiotherapy & Chemotherapy in Nasopharyngeal Cancer (NPC)". Dr Low mentioned in his talk that the causes of NPC are EBV infection, genetic & diet rich in salted fish, meat & veg. I was curious about this EBV thing so I surfed the internet to find out more.

(1) EBV = Epstein-Bar Virus
(2) There is a complex link between EBV infection and NPC. Many studies have found high levels of this virus in the blood of people with NPC.
(3) EBV is known to cause cells in the nasopharynx to become cancerous. Most people infected with EBV develop only infectious mononucleosis, and their immune system is able to recognize and destroy the virus. These patients recover without any long-term problems.
(4) In some cases, however, pieces of viral DNA mix with the DNA of cells in the nasopharynx. When a cell is infected with the virus, the viral DNA may mix with the normal human DNA. EBV DNA is able to instruct the cells of the nasopharynx to divide and grow in an abnormal way.
(5) EBV infection rarely results in NPC. Eating a diet high in salted fish and meat seems to increase the ability of EBV to cause NPC. Studies indicate that foods preserved in this way may undergo changes that produce chemicals that can damage DNA. The damaged DNA alters the cells’ ability to properly regulate growth and replication.

This info on EBV is interesting. I didn't know I had the EB Virus in my blood. I'm grateful that the Lord had helped me to detect it early & to receive treatment early. Dr Low said there are long-term & late side-effects of radiation. Knowing this will help me to be better prepared for the long walk ahead.

thanks for journeying with me,
tsk tsk

No comments: