Sunday 24 June 2007

Life after cancer

Some of you who had spoken to me in the mornings had always asked, "You have a sore throat?" My usual reply : "No, I don't have a sore throat. But my throat is sore every morning."

Life is different after cancer. There are new adaptations. I call it a new life. A new chapter in my life.

What are the new challenges? I have to learn to adapt to some physical changes in my body as a result of radiation. During my cancer treatment, I was exposed to high dosage of radiation on my face/neck area. Every day for 33 sessions, I went through 20-30 minutes of radiation. Although radiation is known to be effective in killing cancer cells, especially for nose cancer, it has negative side effects, short- and long-term. The radiation I received had damaged my organs, tissues & nerves - some of these might heal over time, some might not.

These side effects have posed new challenges to my daily life. This means having to cope with ENT (Ear, Nose, Throat) problems - this includes sore throat (esp in the morning), phlegmy mucus in the nose & echoing in my left ear. I still have tinnitus (ringing sound) in my left ear. I also have dry mouth, a common side effect for nose cancer survivors, due to lack of saliva. The lack of saliva has also caused my teeth to be extra-sensitive to bacteria attack & my tongue burns when it comes into contact with anything that is minty, spicy & acidic.

How do I cope with all these challenges? Yes, cancer has affected & changed the way I live my life. It has brought an element of uncertainty into my life as I do not know what problems I might encounter each day when I wake up. Adapting to changes in one's life can be a frustrating experience. But life must go on. Life is simply too short to waste time on non-essential things like feeling sorry for oneself, groaning & whining about life being unfair, & so on. What for be so negative, right? Just learn to accept the challenges & move on. Adapt & learn to live with the changes. In fact, the challenges have now become a new way of life for me -- a new daily routine.
But most important, "give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus" (1 Thess 5:18). Yes, I am thankful to God for giving me a new lease of life. I am thankful I'm still alive. I feel like I have been resurrected from the dead. My life might have changed but God has never changed. He is the same yesterday, today & forever. I still remember God's promise to me on the day I discovered I had cancer : "My flesh & my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart & my portion forever" (Psalm 73:26).

Note : Thanks, Peggy. This posting is a result of your suggestion that I write something about my new challenges to encourage others who are going through the traumas of life.

thanks for journeying with me,
tsk tsk

No comments: