Monday 26 May 2008

medical considerations

I visit SGH so often it now seems like a 2nd home to me. I had been there 16 times so far this year, an average of 3 visits a month. As a reminder to myself, below are my medical appointments in the next 3 months.

30 May - breast clinic (to review breast lump)
12 June - O&G (to review fibroids)
3 July - NDC (to repair decaying teeth)
23 July - NCC (regular follow-up)
7 Aug - NDC (to repair decaying teeth)
28 Aug - thyroid ultrasound & FNAC
18 Sep - ENT (to review thyroid nodule)

The Ministry of Health revised its hospital subsidy for PRs with effect from Jan 2008. The hospital subsidy was reduced by 5 percentage-point in Jan 2008 & will be reduced by another 5 percentage-point in July 2008. And with effect from Jan 2009, hospital subsidy will be subject to means-testing. I accept the rationale that these changes are necessary to differentiate between Singapore citizens & PRs.

Before 2008, Spore citizens & PRs received the same govt subsidy for the same class of ward. I am thankful for the 60-70% govt subsidy I had enjoyed in 2006-2007 when I underwent cancer treatment as a B2 patient. I am glad I had bought personal insurance when I was still young & healthy. This insurance turned out to be a blessing as it paid almost all my medical bills then.

With medical costs going up & govt subsidy coming down, is it time for me to give serious thought to whether I should apply for Spore citizenship? This is something that has been bugging me this year. The situation has changed; the rules have changed; maybe it's also time for me to change my thinking.

Singapore or Malaysia? It seems like a simple decision to make but I tell you it's not. It has given me a lot of headache.......& pain as well. It is not easy to give up something that is close to your heart. I will have to sit down to do some analysis and planning. This is also a major decision which I cannot make alone. I need the Lord's guidance.

All these years, my decision to remain a PR was guided by this scripture verse : "From one man He made every nation of men, that they should inhabit the whole earth; and He determined the times set for them and the exact place where they should live." (Acts 17:26). I had always believed that it is God's will to make me a Malaysian; it is also God's will to bring me to Singapore. So I must ask God before I make any changes to my national status.

"Lord, please guide me to make a wise decision regarding where You want me to be."

tsk tsk

No comments: