Wednesday 7 May 2008

one tooth gone

Last Sunday morning, one front tooth on the lower jaw fell off while I was brushing my teeth. Good thing it left behind a stump or else I would be in deep trouble. This tooth has become loose after my radiation.

Dr Kaung had explained to me before that tooth extraction is not allowed for NPC survivors in the first 8 years after radiation due to the high risk of infection as the wound would not heal. This is one after-effect of radiation I have to live with after cancer. Daily oral hygiene is essential to prevent tooth decay & infection. It's becoming a daily habit to brush & floss my teeth after each meal. I also need to apply fluoride on my teeth every night. Surgery to the jaws would be necessary if serious tooth infection occurs. I pray this will never happen to me.

I went to the National Dental Centre (NDC) today to have my tooth examined by another dental surgeon as Dr Kaung was busy. Dr Png confirmed there was no tooth infection & treated the stump to prevent any infection in the future. I agreed to wear dentures for the time being. Dr Png advised that should I experience pain or discomfort, I must return to NDC immediately.

As my lower teeth seem to be decaying, it looks like I might have a challienging time ahead. This is the latest addition to my already long list of concerns. Before cancer, I took pride in having a good set of teeth & a clean bill of health. But cancer has changed my life.

thanks for praying alongside me on this journey,
tsk tsk

No comments: