Sunday 8 June 2008

my story (4)

journey into the unknown

After a weary night, I was spiritually & mentally prepared to take on the journey into the unknown. What is the cancer world like? What will be awaiting me there? Will I be able to cope with the pain & suffering? Will I survive the journey & come out of it alive? A journey into the unknown is a scary thought for no one knows what to expect on the other side.

I chose to be treated at the National Cancer Centre, SGH. I had my 1st consultation with the oncologist on 21 Aug 2006. The MRI scan confirmed I had Stage T2N0 nasopharyngeal cancer (NPC), commonly known as nose cancer ("T2N0" means stage 2 cancer with no spread to the lymph nodes). The 2.4 cm tumour was located behind my nose, on the left side. The tumour caused some deafness on my left ear. As Stage 2 NPC was treatable by radiotherapy, my oncologist scheduled me for 33 sessions of radiation from 12 Sep to 30 Oct 2006, lasting about 7 weeks.

My oncologist explained there were 2 types of radiation machines : the old machine which had been in use for the past 30 years, and a newer technology called IMRT (Intensity Modulated Radiation Therapy) which had been in use for only 5 years. Both had pros & cons, but I finally opted for IMRT. I simply trusted God that He had guided me to make the right decision as there was little time to think & I was required to sign the agreement on the spot.

I had to undergo several tests & investigations before radiation began. This was a standard procedure for all new cancer patients to ascertain if cancer had spread to other parts of the body. I had a little scare when a thyroid nodule was picked up by the MRI scan. But the fine needle aspiration biopsy (FNAB) later confirmed the nodule was benign, so my radiotherapy sessions went ahead as scheduled.

I was also required to go for a full dental check-up. This was necessary as any bad or unused tooth must be repaired or extracted before radiation began. I was told that no tooth extraction would be allowed for at least 8 years after radiation due to the threat of infection & blood clotting problems. Radiation not only kills cancer cells but it also destroys or damages all organs on the head & neck including the mouth & teeth.

The journey into the unknown was a bumpy ride which led me through dark valleys. It was the most painful journey in my life.......next instalment akan datang.

Lesson : God will carry us through the dark valleys in our lives.
Our journey through life will take us over the mountains & through the valleys. Our mountaintop experiences are times when our days are bright because the sun is shining above the clouds. Our valley experiences are times when our days are filled with troubles & trials & tribulations. But God made both the mountains & the valleys. Our God is God of the mountains and God of the valleys.

Application : Have you received some bad news that is troubling you? How are you trusting God to carry you through this dark valley?

thanks for joining me in this memorable journey into the past,
tsk tsk

No comments: